- DIFFICULTY:   difficult
- ESTIMATE DISTANCE TO CLIMB (feet):   2000 (Trail Cross Section)
- DISTANCE FROM I80/395 INTERCHANGE (miles):   27
- START LAT/LONG:   N39 deg 18.617' W119 deg 54.097'
- END LAT/LONG:       N39 deg 20.635' W119 deg 55.079'
- ROUTE TO TRAIL BEGINNING (miles from I 80/US 395 interchange):
0.0 South on US 395
10.2 Exit 46 Mt Rose Highway Nevada Route 431
27.0 Park on rightside of Mt Rose Highway near start to north Tahoe Rim Trail
- GEOLOGICAL SURVEY MAP QUADRANGLE:     Mount Rose
a large printable trail map which takes several minutes
to load into a separate window.
- TRAIL SYNOPSIS:   Initially travels along level stretch of the Tahoe Rim Trail.
After turn onto Mount Rose Trail descends into head waters of Galena Creek. An area with beautiful wild flowers.
Trail ascend steeply to top of ridge line next to Mount Rose and then steeply ascends to top of Mount Rose.
Be prepared for drop in temperature and high winds on top of Mount Rose. Views of Washoe Lake, Reno and
moutains to the north and south. Lake Tahoe can be seen; however, better views exist from Tahoe Rim Trail and
nearby peaks. Trail is well marked and well maintained.
- TRAIL DESCRIPTION (first number is distance in miles):
0.0 Pass gate and start north on Tahoe Rim Trail.
2.7 Right turn onto Mt Rose Peak.
3.8 Trail swings left up to ridge line.
5.0 On top of ridge, right turn onto Mt. Rose summit trail.
6.4 Summit of Mount Rose.
- GEOLOGY:   Granite
Trail Cross Section