- DIFFICULTY:     moderate
- ESTIMATE DISTANCE TO CLIMB (feet):     1400 (Trail Cross Section)
- DISTANCE FROM I80/395 INTERCHANGE (miles):     7.4
- START LAT/LONG:     N39 deg 29.68', W119 deg 42.67'
- END LAT/LONG:     N39 deg 29.88', W119 deg 41.52'
- ROUTE TO TRAIL BEGINNING (first number is distance in miles):
0.0 from I 80/US 395 interchange take east I 80
2.5 Exit 19 South on McCarran Blvd
5.2 left on Pembroke Rd
7.4 (2.2 mi_ left on Man of War Dr
7.4+50 ft Park at end of Man of War Dr
- GEOLOGICAL SURVEY MAP QUADRANGLE:     Steamboat.
A small trail map which loads rapidly and a
large printable trail map which takes several minutes
to load into a separate window.
- TRAIL SYNOPSIS:     Travels through desert shrubbery
with a few pines at higher elevations. Hike starts from the end of a residential road and
follows a jeep trail into a valley. This part is easy. Then trail narrows into a path for
hiking and biking. When trail turns off from the valley, the trail becomes steep eventually
reaching a saddle region between two hills. Views can be seen both towards Reno and
the valley to the east. The trail continues behind a hill and then follows a jeep trail to top of a higher saddle area.
Walking up this part of the trail is easy. A trail continues to the hill to the north
which is an easy walk and has views of the Reno/Sparks area. It is possible
to follow a jeep trail down the hill to the original parking place making this trail
a loop trail. The walk down is easy although at times steep.
- TRAIL DESCRIPTION (first number is distance in miles):
0.0 park at Man of War Drive and starting walking jeep towards the south.
1.5 metal across path. Turn left up a bike trail
1.8 bike trail T's with jeep trail. Turn left. Follow trail around the east side of the hill
2.1 walk along side power lines
2.5 walk up hill to north side
2.6 on top of hill
3.3 road forks. take 1st left
3.6 road forks take left
4.1 road T's. Make left turn
4.7 road forks make right turn
5.0 back at Man of War drive
Trail Cross Section